Pediatric EndocrinologyFor further information, pleasee-mail Dedie.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rotation Title: Pediatric Endocrinology and Diabetes
Faculty: Jennifer Amaral, MD
Location: Driscoll Children's Hospital - Specialty Clinic
Duration: 4 weeks
Number of Students: 1
When Offered: All Year
Rotation Hours: Contingent upon physician and clinic schedules
Prerequisite(s): 4th Year Status
Goals-The faculty will strive to:
- Give the senior medical student exposure to the evaluation and management of common pediatric endocrine problems in an outpatient setting.
Objectives-At the end of the rotation, the student will be able to:
- Understand the approach to the child with a suspected growth disorder.
- Clinically assess the stages of pubertal development.
- Perform basic auxologic measurements accurately and properly interpret them.
- Understand common disorders of the adrenal gland and their management.
- Understand the significance of the Texas State Newborn Screening Program.
- Appreciate the critical significance of diabetes education.
- Understand the treatment of diabetic ketoacidosis.
- Understand the clinical use of insulin in children with diabetes.
- Understand the psychosocial aspects of pediatric diabetes management.
- Better understand the pathophysiology of Type I diabetes and its complications.
- Have a basic understanding of dynamic endocrine testing.
- Describe the approach to treatment of delayed pubertal development.
- Understand the approach to a child with a thyroid disorder.
- The student will work directly with faculty in the pediatric endocrinology clinic five days a week. The student will also observe diabetes nurse educators and nutritionists working with children with diabetes and their families. After a period of observation, the student will perform an initial history and physical examination on an endocrine/diabetes patient.
- The student will participate in a weekly pediatric endocrine case conference with the entire division staff. There is also a monthly diabetes team meeting.
- Hospital rounds on inpatient endocrine/diabetes patients and consults.
- Assigned reading.
- Insulin - Dependent Diabetes Mellitus, 9th Edition by Luther B. Travis (textbook)
- Clinical Pediatric Endocrinology, 2nd Edition by S.A. Kaplan (textbook)
- Medical Library
- Faculty will base evaluation on observations and those of staff. The clinical evaluation form will be used.
For Medical Student Program information please email: Dedie Rosales, Medical Student Coordinator at Dedie.email@example.com
For TTY Deaf Messaging Connect to TTY Interpretation by dialing