Pediatric Hematology / OncologyFor further information, please e-mail Dedie.email@example.com.
Rotation Title: Pediatric Hematology/Oncology
Faculty: Cris Johnson, M.D.
Location: Driscoll Children's Hospital Hematology/Oncology Department
Duration: Minimum - 2 weeks; Maximum - 4 weeks
Number of Students: One
When Offered: All Year
Rotation Hours: Contingent upon physician schedule
Prerequisite(s): 4th Year Status
Goals-The faculty will strive to:
- Supervise the student in performing the history and physical with attention to the hematologic system.
- Direct the student in developing a differential diagnosis and laboratory assessment for common anemias, bleeding problems, lymphadenopathy, or possible malignancy.
- Evaluate peripheral blood smears with the student.
- Demonstrate the use of clinical research protocols for oncology patients.
- Encourage reading and Internet research regarding hematology questions.
Objectives-At the end of the rotation, the student will be able to:
- Perform a thorough history regarding anemia or bleeding problems.
- Perform a complete physical examination with attention to hematologic system.
- Initiate the laboratory evaluation of anemia or easy bruising and interpret the results.
- Identify common red cell and white cell abnormalities on peripheral smears.
- Supervised evaluation of outpatients in the hematology-oncology clinic.
- Use of the microscope; review the slides of the patients seen and study sets available in the clinic.
- Directed reading pertinent to the clinic patients.
- Observation of the use of clinical research protocols for oncology patients.
- Textbooks, collection of journal references
- Study sets of microscope slides.
- New referrals and current hematology and oncology patients.
- Clinic staff, physicians and nurses, available to work with the student.
- Clinical Evaluation Form (100%) to be completed by the physician preceptor with whom the student has worked.
For Medical Student Program information please email: Dedie Rosales, Medical Student Coordinator at Dedie.firstname.lastname@example.org
For TTY Deaf Messaging Connect to TTY Interpretation by dialing