Protecting Your Privacy
The Health Information Management Department at Driscoll Children’s Hospital, Corpus Christi is committed to providing optimum customer service to patients, family members and healthcare professionals. Our team maintains the confidentiality of all protected health information, ensures records are properly secured and appropriately discloses information.
Records can be released to anyone whom the patient or legal guardian authorizes (in writing) to receive such information. A valid authorization must contain the following information or the request will be returned:
- Patient’s full name and date of birth; specific information being requested (i.e., type of report/information and dates of service, etc.)
- Purpose for which the information may be disclosed (i.e., personal use, continuity of care, legal matter, etc.)
- To whom the information is to be sent (name and address)
- Authorization’s expiration date if requested (otherwise, the authorization will be valid six months from the date signed)
- The patient’s signature or the signature of the patient’s legal representative
- Date of the signature
Please note that unsigned requests will not be processed. Requests for copies of medical records of deceased patients require a copy of the death certificate or evidence of next of kin or executorship of the estate. Please make sure all areas are filled out completely and correctly. Incomplete releases will be returned for correction.
Patient Medical Records
Request medical records
- To request a copy of a medical record, you must complete a Release of Information (ROI) form (English PDF | Spanish PDF).
- The request may take approximately 10–14 business days to process.
- Records requested for continuity of care are provided at no charge.
- Continuity of care between healthcare providers will be provided at no charge.
Request changes to health record
Patients or legally authorized representatives may request an amendment to a health record, if they believe their record needs to be corrected or revised, by completing a Request for Amendment form - PDF.
Request a release restriction or limited access
Patients or legally authorized representatives may request restricted access to a patient’s record. You will need to complete the Restricted Access form at the time of registration.
Request a copy of a death certificate
If a patient passes away at our facility, the Health Information Management Department does not have or provide copies of death certificates. Family or legally authorized representatives can contact the Office of Texas Vital Statistics to obtain these certificates.
Frequently Asked Questions