The Health Information Management Department at Driscoll Children’s Hospital is committed to providing optimum customer service to patients, family members and healthcare professionals. The Health Information Management Department will maintain the confidentiality of all protected health information, ensure records are properly secured and appropriately disclose information.
Records can be released to anyone who the patient or legal guardian authorizes (in writing) to receive such information. A valid authorization must contain the following information or the request will be returned:
- Patient’s full name and date of birth; specific information being requested (i.e., type of report/information and dates of service, etc.)
- Purpose for which the information may be disclosed (i.e., personal use, continuity of care, legal matter)
- To whom the information is to be sent (name and address)
- Authorization’s expiration date if requested (otherwise, the authorization will be valid six months from date signed)
- The patient’s signature or a patient’s legal representative’s signature
- Date of the signature
Please note that unsigned requests will not be processed. Requests for copies of medical records of deceased patients require a copy of the death certificate or evidence of next of kin or executorship of the estate. Please make sure all areas are filled out completely and correctly. Incomplete releases will be returned for correction.
Patient Medical Records
Request medical records
- To request a copy of a medical record, you must complete a Release of Information (ROI) form.
- The request may take approximately 10-14 business days to process.
- Records requested for continuity of care are provided at no charge.
- Continuity of care between healthcare providers will be provided at no charge
Request changes to health record
Patients or legally authorized representatives may request an amendment to a health record, if they believe their record needs to corrected or revised, by completing a Request for Amendment form.
Request a release restriction or limited access
Patients or legally authorized representatives may request restricted access to your child’s record. You will need to complete the Restricted Access form at the time of registration.
Request a copy of a death certificate
If your child passed away at our facility, the Health Information Management Department does not have or provide copies of death certificates. Family or legally authorized representatives can contact the Office of Texas Vital Statistics to obtain these certificates.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who must authorize release of information?
Parents or legal guardians (without court-imposed restrictions) may obtain and/or authorize the release of protected health information from their child's medical record from Driscoll Children's Hospital. Individuals over the age of 18 must authorize the release of their own information.
How do I get authorization?
To request a copy or have a copy of the medical record sent to another party, call Driscoll Children's Hospital Health Information Management Department at (361) 694-5468 between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. We will be happy to mail or fax you a form. You may also obtain a form from your Specialty Clinic.
What do I need to do to get written authorization?
- Provide all requested information.
- Be very specific about the information you need to have released. Write down dates, types of visits, and what parts of the record you need.
- For x-ray films/images, please state on the form that you need x-ray films/images.
- Sign and date the authorization using your full legal signature.
- Mail the authorization form to:
Attention: HIM Medical Record Release
Driscoll Children’s Hospital
3533 S. Alameda St.
Corpus Christi, TX 78411
- Or fax to (361) 808-2056.
For questions, please contact a record release representative at (361) 694-5468.
Please remember, if any information is missing or incomplete, we must return the form to you. This may delay the release of information.
Health Information Management is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding observed holidays.
Driscoll Children's Hospital
Health Information Management
3533 S. Alameda St.
Corpus Christi, TX 78411
Office: (361) 694-5468
Fax: (361) 808-2056
For TTY Deaf Messaging, connect to TTY Interpretation by dialing (800) 735-2989.